Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Golden Wedding Reel

Here is a great driving version of a down-east classic. Nothing fancy here, just straight up old-time fiddle with no shortage of energy and a great dance beat. This is the kind of tune that gets people right up on the floor at a moments notice.

This tune holds a special place for me because it is the first tune of Erskine's I attempted to learn. It got me doing things I'd never done with my left hand and bowing. I ripped into this tune one night at our jam without announcing the title. When Brian realized what I'd jumped into he was pretty caught off-guard because I had never mentioned that I'd been secretly learning his Dad's tunes. He was grateful to hear these tunes played again on the violin, even with my Kentucky-tinged take on them.

Hear the Golden Wedding Reel

This tune was recorded in Cambridge, Ontario in 1984. Erskine spent his later years there in order to be close to one of his sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment