Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

News and Updates

Dear readers,

Thought I'd update everyone with the latest news on the Gaspe Fiddle Project. I know I haven't been posting as many tunes lately but rest assured there is some great stuff in the pipeline.

We had another visit with Cyril on the Jean-Baptiste holiday and he treated us to an afternoon of new stories and jokes, and even a few tongue-twisters he learned from his Granny. We also played some of his tunes for him which I'd learned since my previous visit with him. He set me straight, helping me out on adding a few extra "jiggles"in the tune which he says help round the tunes out. There will be a bunch of new audio clips from that visit in before too long I hope.

We've also gotten a few tapes of Cyril's that we are in the process of digitizing. There are some real lively tunes there and I'll be sure to share these with the readers.

In other big news, I am leaving this weekend on a 3 week bike tour of the Gaspe coast from Campbellton, New Brunswick to Douglastown and Forillon Park. I'm hoping to meet some of the remaining fiddle players out on the coast. The highlight and culmination of the trip will be the Douglastown Irish Week which is from August 2nd to 6th. There's going to be some great fiddlers there including Yvon Mimeault, Gerald Fullum, and Pierre Schryer. I got some great news last week, it seems that Brian, Brigid, and her two brothers Joe and Anthony who play fiddle will also be out there. I'm sure I'll have some great fiddling and photos to share with all our readers from the music that happens out there.

Here is the site of the Douglastown Irish Week

And here is a picture of Douglastown beach:

1 comment:

  1. love the site. I am going to link up. you can find my blog at clawhammertuneoftheday@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete