Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Erskine Morris (1913 – 1997)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Some Videos

Here are some videos from a little concert of Gaspé tunes I played last week at a café in Montreal's NDG neighbourhood.  John Parsons runs a nice monthly coffee house featuring solo performances of three of Montreal's roots musicians.  He has amassed a great collection of videos of Montreal-area musicians on his youtube channel which I encourage you to check out.

It was my first experience playing a show with no accompaniment and I was a little nervous, not knowing how people would respond.  However, once I realized that playing in a solo environment would be the ideal setting to expose people to the older Gaspesian tunes played as it was in the old days, with just the fiddle, I accepted the gig.

I'm still working on learning to clog my feet while I play so you'll have to bear with me and hopefully, tapping my foot on the beat will suffice.  I was really pleased with the positive response of the crowd, most of whom had never heard fiddle played in the old-time solo style before.  A big thanks to John Parsons and his wife Jenny for inviting me to perform and for capturing and editing the video

I was also fortunate to meet a young girl who has been passionately learning the fiddle for the past nine months.  She had seen me play previously at another café and had asked her mother if she could come see the show.  Her name is Stephanie Flowers and she makes an appearance at the end of the third clip.  It was so great to see someone so young who is so enthusiastic about the fiddle and her playing really blew me away.  I have a feeling many fiddle lovers will be hearing a lot more about Stephanie in the years to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment